End of February Update

End of February Update With my final(?) year of university ready to start next week, I thought I would write my thoughts down as well as announcing another project that…

Continue Reading End of February Update

Post 25: Post Weekend Update

This weekend will mark the second to last weekend before I'm back at uni and so the amount of time that I have to get this to the point I wanted is winding down. At this point I doubt that I'll make it to where I wanted (fully implemented other than context), however I don't believe this matters as I feel like I'm pretty close. The trello board that I have is filling up, however I'm finding that my compentency with coding graphs is also growing and judging by the way I've been able to fix problems on the fly- without really trying, I'm pretty happy so far. I started off this weekend by finishing the UI elements off.

Continue Reading Post 25: Post Weekend Update

Post 24: Post-Weekend Update

I managed to get a pretty big session in on the weekend and sorted out some key features that I feel are a key part of an RPG. What I am finding so far is that the more and more I think about what elements are in an RPG the more and more I am finding added to the list - so much infact that it's hard to keep track of. My solution to this was to head over to Trello and create a bugs list that will help me keep track of what I've glossed over and act as a directory when I finish implementing all the features I want to working order.

Continue Reading Post 24: Post-Weekend Update

Post 23: Animation and Dolly Camera

After a wee break I decided to get back into it by changing up and animation and setting up the camera as to not be so jarring. I did this be setting up lerping between the current distance from the player that the camera has and the point that we would want it to be (in this case closer). Not very complex stuff and a good way to get me back into a working rhythm. My current job doesn't leave me much time to sink into this project, but I have a couple of days coming up, so hopefully I can utilise these and implement more features. Below is the results of this little implement. I think it looks really good!

Continue Reading Post 23: Animation and Dolly Camera

New Year Post 2021

Well, well, well. What a year 2020 was. I thought I'd write this post as I've done a couple of things with the website and felt like posting something that wasn't about Project Unicorn (Argyll). I've been tweaking the website for ease of use and to make it a little more aesthetically pleasing. I'm pretty happy with the way that it is at the minute, so this will probably be how it looks for a long time. I've also been proactively attempting to post more on social media - I'm terrible at it, so it's probably going to be patchy until I get into a routine. As the year progresses, I'm aiming to ramp up the amount of work that I can do on PU/A as to aim for a demo release around the November mark of this year. This coincides with my final project hand in for my final year of university. I'm aiming to have a working representation of what this would look like as a full release with full cinematics, voicing, modelling and gameplay. In theory I would only need to develop and implement the narrative / side quests to release a full version. As a final note, I've also added in a Paypal donation button on the footer on the page. This is only incase anyone actually looks at what I'm working on and wants to contribute. Of course anyone who does will be greatly appreciated and mentioned in the release of any game they feel like supporting. But honestly, I'm not expecting anything - it's literally a just incase sort of a deal. If you're still reading this, I greatly appreciate even an interest in what I'm doing. I feel my journey has been interesting so far and will only grow down the line. Cheers! James

Continue Reading New Year Post 2021

Post 20: Rootmotion Implementation

I mentioned previously that I thought I may change out the animation system for the characters as I felt the ‘Add Force’ function with the attacks to be a rather crude way to implement attack movement. So I changed it. I really wished that I had started off with root motion implemented and now that I have a grasp on how to implement it, I will be rolling out all future projects this way. Adding a Root bone in maya Replacing all my skeletons and references Replacing all my animations Unfortunately, there’s not too much to write about as this is fairly straight forward. Below is a screenshot of the extra bone that I added to the existing Mixamo rig that I had previously been using.

Continue Reading Post 20: Rootmotion Implementation